Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

Why Does Professional Photography Cost So Much?

Alright everyone, this may be the longest blog post I've ever made, so get comfortable and read on! I'm going to answer that top question and tell you all a little bit about myself, too. I'll highlight the important parts if you just want to skim! : )

I've tried to avoid writing any sort of "about me" for a while because, well, I just don't like talking about myself, I'd much rather talk about you.  Anyway, I've been on my photographic journey now for 12 years and counting. I love photography. I live and breathe photography, and besides my family, it is my passion. I want to be taking pictures, your pictures!

It seems I have a split personality and shoot in two main styles. I like things very simple, modern, clean and full of color, or more dreamy, textured, aged and deep.  So you will see both of these looks in my portfolio.

While I'd like to be doing photography full-time, I do have a family to take of and am very busy (just like all of you), so I put my heart and soul into just 3 sessions a month! 

A lot of people think I am too expensive and wonder how I could possibly charge as much as I do. There are a lot of reasons for this. For a more in depth answer click here to read an excellent summary. Basically it has to do with time and costs of running a legitimate business.  On average I spend a minimum of 10-15 hours per client! This time includes preparing for the shoot, phone calls, e-mails, actual picture time, up-loading, backing up images, editing, ordering appointment, ordering and processing pictures, blogging sneak peeks, etc. Even though you may only need 2 images, I still have to spend the same amount of time to get you those 2 images.

The other main reason for professional pricing is the cost of equipment. Yes, anyone can go buy an DSLR for very little money that will take decent pictures, but a professional grade camera costs at least $2000 and needs to be replaced every 2-3 years. Professionals also need to buy various lenses that can cost $500-$2000 each. Add on the cost of extra batteries, memory cards, a computer and software to edit the images you are looking at a total investment of at least $20,000!  Photography is not cheap by any means.

When you pay the photographer their Sitting fee and the price for prints you are paying mostly for their time, but also their business expenses. It is becoming harder and harder to make a living as a photographer since the market is becoming over-saturated with "professional" photographers. I am lucky enough not to have to support my family with my talents, but I do have some serious investments that I do cover through my business.

Now I want to ask you a question, how much do you spend on furniture or your car? Now, how much did you send on pictures this last year? Yes these are two different things, but are they? How much are you willing to pay for amazing images that will last for GENERATIONS? Most families invest in a session at least once a year to preserve these memories. I don't know about you, but I want my kids to be able to show their children pictures of themselves that still look vibrant and new!

Now to the point, I have decided to charge and price for my time instead of charging you an arm and a leg for the digital negatives that I know you all want! This practice started long ago with film when photographers were forced to keep the "negatives" because they physically needed them to make reprints and future orders. Now that we are in a digital age and it is so easy to copy scan and reproduce images it isn't necessary for me to keep your negatives anymore.

This does make me cringe a little because as the artist I can no longer control where and how you print, and display your images in representation of my business and art. I print everything through a professional lab at the highest quality to make sure your art is displayed at it's full potential and will stand the test of time. I will still offer reasonable prices on prints and products so that you can afford to display your portraits in style.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! People don't understand how much time goes into these kinds of things. They think it should be free, like you want to take time away from your family just to take pics for them for nothing. Seriously. It's a job people, and Evelyn is AMAZING at it! Give her the credit she deserves and respect her time and talent.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that your pictures are outstanding! We would pay for your great work! You really have a gift! I still think that is pretty reasonable for what you are giving people!

bird said...

so true evelyn! and that beautiful, beautiful baby is to die for!